Thursday, December 27, 2007

Why DO They Call Them "Wisdom" Teeth?

The last thing she remembers is one of the oral surgeons imitating a Canadian hockey player's accent. Ah, the joys of Versed and surgery... The last thing I wanted to see was her eyes rolling to the back of her head in the hospital lobby as she passed out! Marina had a "rare" reaction to the anesthesia - her blood pressure bottomed out. I waited until she came to, put her in a wheel chair and took her back to the surgery wing. I quietly entered and whispered to the receptionist, but the unconscious, green pallored teen in the wheel chair kind of gave us away. I didn't want to freak out any waiting patients or parents! Two hours later, I stopped by a pharmacy and filled her Percocet, antibiotics and Motrin. I told her to take the Percocet with the fruit shake since she had already taken a Motrin. On the ride home from Boston, Marina kept mentioning..."I thought you said this would make me HAPPY! The pain is going away, but I'm NOT happy!" When we got home and I handed her the antibiotic and she said, "Oh. I have to take this AGAIN already?" ...um... laughter from Mom ... Love that placebo effect. Now I know why she wasn't "happy"!!!

1 comment:

CHAR said...

ouch... one of the many joys in life- wisdom teeth