Thursday, January 10, 2008

Nice necklace...um thanks, it's my husband.


I received an interesting email from Bill today as he departed South Korea for home - a two day trip. First some background: On December 1st, on our way to a squadron party, I asked Bill where he wanted to be buried. He looked at me and asked, "Where did THAT come from?" An hour later we were notified that my step-dad, Boyd, had passed away suddenly. It's been hard. I suppose Bill has been thinking about my question. So his email today read:

You asked me not too long ago what I wanted after my demise. This sounds like a neat idea…
http://www.lifegem.com/index.aspx?BannerType=QuigoText&BannerMessage=LoveLivesOn

I clicked on the link to LifeGem. I remembered reading about them a few years ago. They take your family member's ashes and create a diamond. We are, after all, carbon-based as are diamonds. ...I can just see it. "Debbie what a beautiful necklace." -pause- I smile somewhat sadly and reply, "Oh thank you, it's Bill." ...awkward. I wrote him back, "cool but creepy all at the same time...but then again, in the 1700's widows wore lockets with a snip of hair from their husbands." I remembered seeing Martha Washington's mourning locket in a museum with a snip of George's hair inside, so I guess LifeGem is the same tradition a step forward in time? I cringed and clicked on "The Process". WHEW! They have advanced their diamond technology. Now they can produce one from a lock of hair. Bill has plenty of that since he retired from active duty. I can handle hair!!!!

No comments: